PQube, publishers of Steins;Gate and the upcoming BlazBlue Chronophantasma Extend, have announced that they will be publishing not one but two Earth Defense Force games in Europe in Q4 2015. Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair on PlayStation 4, the first 8th gen EDF; and Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space, a PlayStation Vita enhanced remake of Global Defence Force 2.
The legendary bug-hunting Earth Defense Force series, renowned for its over-the-top action and emphasis on wild, gargantuan sci-fi battles, will see two unique titles released this year – one for PS4, one for PS Vita, and both helmed by the original developers of the series at Sandlot.
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
Earth Defense Force 4.1 is the brand spanking new Earth Defense Force, taking the series to 8th Generation consoles for the first time on PlayStation 4. EDF 4.1 is a “re-imagining” of Earth Defense Force 2025. As usual it’s just as fun and just as crazy, packed with B-movie style action, from giant insects, aliens, and good old fashioned kaiju. And of course some sweet, sweet rag doll physics.
– Take on almost 100 levels – solo, couch co-op, or online with up to three friends!
– Use tanks, helicopters, jetpacks, air bikes, armoured rail guns, and giant robots to take on the invading alien force!
– Huge, open levels with fully destructible environments.
– Hundreds of weapons and gadgets from grenades, rifles, and airstrikes, to giant mecha with rocket-powered fists!
– Four different classes for unique play experiences. Soar over the battlefield as a Wing Diver, call the shots as an Air Raider, wade into the thick of it as a heavily armoured Fencer, or do it the old-fashioned way as a Ranger!
Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space
Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space is an enhanced remaster of Global Defence Force 2, the second game in the series originally released on PlayStation 2. For many its a highlight of the series, taking everything that made the first game great and focusing it.
– All the explosive free-roaming action of Earth Defense Force in the palm of your hand!
– Three character classes to chose from – the agile Pale Wing, the hard-hitting Infantryman, and the tactically gifted Air Raider.
– Increase your firepower with a range of heavily armed vehicles and protect (or lay waste to) the fully destructible cities.
– Join up to three friends in local multiplayer or online co-op!
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair and Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space are two incredible new additions to the EDF series, bringing players even more of the insane bug-hunting action they’ve come to know and love.
Earth Defense Force is a tonne of fun, and these games look set to be no different from what we’ve already seen. Not only is it a lot of fun to blast threats to the Earth away on your own, but they’re also some of the best co-op games around, which is all the more important in an age where couch co-op seems to be dying an unfair death. Between the two games you’ll be able to hunker down with some intense bug destroying action either at home or on the go — and always with friends.
EDF has a very broad appeal in Japan thanks to the social nature of its multiplayer and also the easy pick up and play nature of its controls and gameplay. Nothing perhaps sums up the social joy better than this Japanese advert for Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space (known as Earth Defense Forces 2 Portable v2 in Japan), which has some insanely catchy music:
To be the first to hear about our stock and price for both of these titles don’t forget to join our mailing list, and also receive regular news about new deals and exclusive mailing list coupons!