Square Enix have been teasing a game recently with the below image. It seemed like it would be a game that would be vaguely… star related. Famitsu thankfully cleared everything up by confirming today that the announcement was about Star Ocean 5, titled Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, in an interview the developers, tri-Ace, including Suichi Kobayashi-san, the game’s producer.
There’s no release date yet, and it’s currently about a third of the way through development. The game follows on from Star Ocean: The Last Hope which came out in 2009 on Xbox 360 and later in 2010 on PlayStation 3. It will be developed by tri-Ace, who are the usual Star Ocean developers. Images are from Famitsu.
Not much is known about Star Ocean 5 yet, but here’s what we know from Famitsu’s interview with tri-Ace:
– Kobayashi wants Star Ocean 5 to feel a lot like Star Ocean 3 (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)
– The title “Integrity and Faithlessness” has multiple meanings, which will become clearer as you reach the end of the game
– The game’s logo is deliberately meant to resemble Star Ocean 3‘s logo
– Battle basics will remain the same as the older games
– Boss battles will be different, with party members fighting the bosses in different ways
– Kobayashi wants to see the series continue, and aims for Star Ocean 5 to not only be enjoyable for long-time fans, but to be good for newcomers too
– Development of the PS4 version is occurring alongside the basic, PS3 version
– They would like to utilise the PS4’s Share button
– They don’t want to include story DLC as they don’t want to upset fans by offering versions that are more “complete” than other versions
Want to know when you can pre-order Star Ocean 5 or be the first to know about its release date? Sign up to our mailing list to be the first to know about our new products and deals in our Rice Digital Store!