We recently reported that Falcom had revealed the next title in the Ys series, Ys IX: Monstrum Nox. Yesterday, the developers opened an official website for the game providing the first official information about the characters, setting, gameplay mechanics and revealed the first in-game screenshots.
The setting and story:
One of the likely many settings is Baldeux: The Prison City, one of the major cities of Gllia Eldlingen, a province of the Romun Empire located in the northeast Esterior peninsula. It is also known as “Prison City” due to the fact that it is home to a huge prison. Castle walls and a moat stretch around the prison, and remains of the city’s fortress town era are also visible.
Located deep inside the city, Baldeux Prison is the largest prison in the Romun Empire. It was originallya fortress to protect the national border, but it underwent major reconstruction and is now used as a prison. The only entrance is the drawbridge in the front, and it is said that it is impossible to escape due to the steep wall of rock and deep moats that surround it.
Additionally, since Baldeux is a key point for transportation in this area, the city is lined with inns, bars, and shops for travelers and commerce, and in recent years, facilities for the general public such as theaters and public bathhouses are also being built.
Recently, people in town called “Monstrum” have been causing a disturbance and seem to be the target of rumors among residents. These elusive and mysterious characters possess supernatural powers. They do not seem to have a leader. Some help the poor, while others are outlaws that kill people on the street. The reality of the situation is difficult to grasp. They are called “Monstrum” due to their mysterious powers and strange outfits, and seem to be feared by the residents of Baldeux…
White Cat – Battle Style: Hand-to-Hand Fighting
A chivalrous thief who steals money and goods from the rich to give out to the needy living in the slums, and one of the “Monstrum” in Baldeux, The Prison City. She seems to communicate with the city’s residents frequently, and shows off around the city with her nimble and flashy performances. Utilizing her flexible, cat-like body, she specializes in speedy strike attacks.
Hawk – Battle Style: Dual Swords
A “Monstrum” who calls himself “Heaven’s Justice” and murders in the city streets. Not only does he have a bad drinking habit, besides getting into fights with extreme battle enthusiasts, he goes out if his way to start trouble on his own. Among the “Monstrum” that appear in Baldeux, he has the least cooperative personality, and even the other “Monstrum” have trouble with his behavior.
- Heavens Run – A supernatural ability that enables the user to easily run up the vertical surface of a wall. In some dungeons and exploration areas, this ability can open up new routes. By running up to high areas in the city, you may even make some unexpected discoveries…
- Hunter Glide – A supernatural ability in which huge wings unfold from the user, enabling them to glide for an extended period of time. By gliding from a high area, you can travel a significant distance, and depending on how you use it, your range of motion will immediately expand. In battle, while avoiding the enemy’s attack, you can use this ability for tricky strategies like launching a sneak attack from the skies.
This is all looking and sounding pretty great to us so far, (almost) all bias aside from loving the series in general. But what do you think? Are you interested in Ys IX: Monstrum Nox? Or do you think you’ll give this game a pass? Let us know in the comments, or on Facebook and Twitter, and check back for more coverage of the Ys series and other Japanese games!
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is due out for PlayStation 4 this fall in Japan.
- New Persona 5 Royal Trailer Introduces Kasumi And Special Edition Revealed - June 6, 2019
- New Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Character Revealed Ahead Of Release - May 31, 2019
- Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers Preview - May 29, 2019