Idea Factory will be releasing Neptunia Virtual Stars in the west, which is a localisation of the latest Hyperdimension Neptunia spin-off, VVVtunia.
The game is sold as a music based hack ‘n’ slash – and will see actual VTubers (virtual YouTubers) take part in the game. Virtual Stars is set a in world that revolves around content, sounds like a not-so dystopian future of our own world right?
An interesting part of the game sees the background music actually having an effect during battle, it can be both a positive or negative effect depending on how well you’re doing.
Neptunia Virtual Stars Description:
In a dimension called Virtualand, the virtual planets that exist within it contain an extraordinary ability to produce a commodity known as content. Of these celestial bodies is a tranquil planet known as EMO. This was the latest target of a nefarious group whose sole purpose is to destroy content created by virtual planets… Anti. Their decimation of EMO has left its citizens hopeless.
Just then, VTubers, popular live-streamers from Earth, were suddenly transported to Virtualand. Because VTubers possess an affinity for creating good content, they were obvious targets for Anti, who quickly captured them and turned them into data pockets known as V Cubes.
Fair, the Virtual Goddess and leader of Planet EMO, sent out a distress signal to multiple dimensions in the hopes of a miracle. Two groups received the signal – the rising VTuber stars, Mi and Yu, members of MEWTRAL, as well as the Goddesses of Gamindustri: Neptune, Noire, Blanc, and Vert. Both parties, now entering unfamiliar terrain, decide to team up to duke it out against Anti! Can they band together and save planet EMO from complete destruction?
- Switch On-The-Fly – Seamlessly switch perspectives between melee and ranged shooter characters in fast-paced hack ‘n’ slash battles – get the right combos for more bonuses and greater damage!
- Feel the BeatTik Rhythm – Team up with real-life virtual YouTubers and get fans riled up in BeatTik rhythm game performances to save the planet!
- BGM got me going! – Background music can help or hurt you in special boss battles, changing battle conditions and even unlocking coordinated finishing moves.
- Cheer up with VTubers – VTubers can randomly join you during battle to help! With their support, they can cheer you on during play and even provide you with a special prize if you make their dreams come true!
Neptunia Virtual Stars is due out for PS4 in 2021.
Disclosure: Some links in this article may be affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on them. This is at no additional cost to you and helps support Rice Digital!
- Miku puzzling is back with Hatsune Miku Connecting Puzzle Tamagotori - January 27, 2022
- Cake Invaders provides simple, Missile Command-inspired fun - January 27, 2022
- The many tonal shifts of Full Metal Daemon Muramasa - January 26, 2022